13 October 2010

I Passed!

My final APCD assessment took place yesterday, and my assessors concluded that I would be "highly recommended" for Peace Corps service.  The bottom line: I will be sworn in on Monday as a PCV member of EC82.  The ceremony will draw top Peace Corps staff from St. Lucia, host families and co-workers, and even, perhaps, the Governor-General of St. Kitts-Nevis.  I will be working with fellow volunteers to compile a slideshow of activities and experiences from our brief time on island, which will be aired at the ceremony.  I, of course, will share the resulting video with readers following the event, as well as any pictures or video from the event itself at least by the end of the month.  We volunteers will be expected to learn the SKN national anthem!

My final day of training took place today.  It was kind of a tough end, since our schedule placed a workshop on dealing with at-risk youth as our last subject, which was an emotional subject to tackle.  But I am finally free to concentrate on job assignments, projects for school, developing after-school extra-curricular activities, moving into my new apartment, planning meals for the next week, budgeting money for my phone, household appliances, and groceries, running errands in town...
Whoa! Looks like it was easier pushing all these things back with PreService Training as an excuse!  Who knew?  But that's okay, the other side to finally filling up all of my week's time with projects and duties is that I finally have a week's worth of time to fill up.  And I think that's the consensus among my fellow Kittitian and Nevisian trainees: everyone is staying positive with PreService Training behind us, and learning to live on our own "island time" in front!

Also, Happy Birthday Jerry Rice; here's to your many accomplishments.

3 comments:

  1. YAY!
    Love it!

    Here's a comic I wanted to share with you: http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=1813

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on passing!
    I think Kitt would be a great nickname for you too?
    Is the national anthem in English? shouldn't be too difficult. Is there a deadline to memorize it?
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, guys. Meagan, I love Dinosaur comics. And yet they're almost too random for my taste (who knew?).

    Jonathan, you are not allowed to call me Kitt. However, you may call me a Kittitian if you like. Fortunately, the national anthem is short and in English, so we'll do our best.

    ReplyDelete