06 April 2012

Funnyquote Friday

As I mentioned, I started a job search late last month.  Since part of the payback for volunteering for the government of the United States for two years was that I would receive certain non-competitive statuses in my applications, I have been applying to public service jobs as well as private sector positions.  As such, I am using USAJobs.gov to guide my search for analyst openings, and in the process of filling out an application for one such opening, I stumbled across this little gem:


I learned something about myself yesterday: I could run a 10K in the shape that I'm in right now.  Even in high school, being a cross country runner, my training rarely ever exceeded running 5 kilometers, or 3.1 miles, and as such I've never really pushed myself to try for greater distances.  But, bitten by the fitness bug recently, I took to running as far as I could yesterday morning, but slowing my usual breakneck pace down to a casual 10 min/mile.  You know what happened?  I ran as far as I could one way (which amounted to about 1.5 miles along a trail into the next village), turned around and ran back, then kept going for another 1/2 mile, and looped around and came back again – all while maintaining my starting jogging pace!  I wasn't even spent by the time I was finished!  Tired, a little, yes – but I believe capable of lasting another 20 minutes at that pace.  In fact, I'm going to test my theory one day next week, when I have an hour to spare in the morning.  I've never run 6.2 miles in one go before in my life, so if when it happens, I'll report back accordingly.

It's Easter break here already, which means I have today (Good Friday) off from work, as well as Easter Monday starting next week.  I learned this well from last year, as the reader might recall I did not know this going into the long weekend, and I ended up being the only one showing up for work on this day a year ago.  This year, however, I have my act together: as you read this, I'll be hiking in the interior rainforest, effectively combining some good sightseeing with getting in shape and spending time with some great people.  I might even take some good pictures, too.

Oh, and if you did not get a chance yet to check out the newest edition of the Serious Ting, please click the cover art to the left to be magically transported to an external website that allows for online viewing of periodicals and downloading in PDF.

No comments:

Post a Comment